We are pleased to announce the establishment of the Frank Islam Institute for 21st Century Citizenship, created to address an increasing civic engagement deficit in the United States and to enhance the concept of citizenship for the challenges and opportunities of our times. In our view, 21st century citizenship will require:
- The active participation of every citizen, with special roles for the young and old
- 24/7/365 engagement
- The blurring of boundaries between governments and the governed
- Comprehensive civic education integrated into all subjects at all grade levels, with an emphasis on media literacy, critical thinking, collaboration, and application to action
- Increasing expansion of civic responsibility into all areas of life--individual, organizational, political, community, and social
- The bold embrace of technology and globalization as positive forces for change
Check out our full newsletter archive here and sign up to get the best, latest, most positive and inspirational research, analyses, apps, tools, services, and more to help you become one of the citizens, not politicians or captains of industry, who will determine the future of our country and the world.